Friday, June 21, 2013

You comments are always appreciated! (communication helps me help you).

A Well Deserved Thank You

Just a few short year ago, I was one of those people who swore I would never go to a gym. All that macho bullshit just turned me right off:

  • men preening themselves in the mirror with 50 pound dumbbells in their hands incessantly curling their biceps and staring lovingly at their flexing muscles while glancing around to see how much others were lifting; 
  • the grunting and slamming of heavy weights on the gym floor;
  • the exaggerated locker room conversations centering on expletive-filled expressions of male bonding

Then, a magical thing happened: my dear wife gave me the gift of health in the form of a gym membership and I was obliged to go.

It was there that I met this behemoth of a personal trainer who deprecatingly calls himself Special Ed, who, through training, support and continued encouragement has helped me come from a flabby, unfit 50-something to someone who actually enjoys the health benefits of pushing weight and finds himself missing the gym after two days of not going. From being able to do 1 (ONE) push up to easily dropping and doing twenty without breaking a sweat, I have seen the personal benefits of a solid regimen of weight training.

I feel better, my dear wife says I look better and while I still despise the superficiality of some of the antics that go on in the gym, I now keep my head down and concentrate on improving my physical well-being. I walk a little straighter, feel a lot better about myself and truly enjoy the positive energy coursing through my veins after a good workout.

So a big thank you to both my wife and my trainer Ed for making this happen!
 
 
A special thanks Ralf as I can always count on you to tell it like it is.
Your progression is always my reward.
 

--
Ralf Hollmann
Merida, Yucatan, Mexico

No comments:

Post a Comment